Wednesday, December 3, 2008

He is our Banner!

We all march under various "banners". Banners can be things or people in which you place your trust. When an Army is marching to war, they will place a banner or a symbol somewhere as a constant reminder of who is fighting and where to place their trust. Just as Pastor Randy pointed out earlier, the United States uses our nation's flag. We can put our trust in different things. The "things" become our banners.

Some put their trust in other people, their spouse, their parents, their friendships. When trouble comes they run to their "trusted" people. While others place their trust in things like their intelligence, money, careers. These people and things become their banners in which they hang their hat. They march under the banners of trust they have created for themselves.

You have heard people say, "I'm gonna be just fine, because my husband is my rock!" or "Everything will work out because we will get the best money can buy..." or "Just give me time and I will figure it out." These are banners...people, money, intellect. All of which are nothing. Our victory doesn't lie in any of those things. At some point in time, things will fail you, but Jehovah Nissi will never fail!

"Help me Father, not to turn to relationships, or to anything else as I walk through life. Help me to walk in you as my Banner."


What or who is your "banner"? Who or what are you trusting instead of Jesus? Give those things or people to Him and trust in Him. He is our Banner!

(Adapted from Pointing Women to the Cross. July 17, 2008)

2 comments:

susan said...

Lord, please show me today if I am holding any banners instead of lifting You and You alone up.

Randy said...

What a convicting thought. Lord, forgive me for running to other banners other than you.