Monday, December 1, 2008

The LORD is My Banner

Good morning all. We had a great time at Callaway Gardens with Susan’s family for Thanksgiving. This is our 11th straight year to celebrate Thanksgiving at Callaway and it is a time that we always look forward to. In fact, I think the kids are already counting the days until next year’s trip. I appreciate Dwayne preaching for me yesterday. Let me share with you a few thoughts about one incredible name of God, Jehovah - Nissi, The Lord is my banner.

This name comes on the scene when Moses is leading the children of Israel in Exodus 17. Let me encourage you to read verses 1-16 now. In these verses, Moses’ has a simple shepherd’s staff that God tells him to throw on the ground. When he does, it becomes a serpent. Then God speaks and tells Moses to pick the serpent up by the tail. (Not that I would pick any snake up, but even I know better than to pick one up by the tail!). However, when Moses picks the serpent up, it once again becomes a staff. But from this point on it is no longer called the staff of Moses, but rather the rod of God. It is this same rod that is now called, “Jehovah Nissi” or “The Lord is My Banner.”

Throughout history, banners are very important. In fact, here in America we have a very significant banner that is the symbol of our nation.



When any American sees this flag, there is a feeling of great pride. We are taught to salute it and to pledge our allegiance to it. Throughout the history of our country this flag has been our banner. Note some things about the American flag:

1. It is unfurled at times of war.
2. It is always the center of attention and no other flag can ever fly above it.
3. It has been used for direction.
4. It is waved as a sign of victory.


Today, we as believers have a banner also. It is not a flag, nor is it the rod of God. Rather our banner is the cross of Christ.



1. It was unfurled when God declared war on sin.
2. It has to be the center of attention in all that we do and nothing else can ever rise above it.
3. It gives us direction for our lives.
4. It is THE great sign of victory and triumph.


Thank God for the cross of Jesus Christ. Thank God that He is Jehovah Nissi who always fights for us. He fought for us at the cross and He won the victory for you and me!

1 comment:

susan said...

Praise the Lord! He is my banner! Thank You, Jesus!