Friday, November 7, 2008

Know Him by name

“To the King of ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever.”
1 Timothy 1:17


As we have read this week, it is clear that the practice of naming someone based on that individual’s personal characteristics is in keeping with the biblical concept of the significance of a name. I find it fascinating that in the Hebrew language, the term for “name” (shem) most likely meant “sign or distinctive mark”. In the Greek, name (onoma) is derived from a verb that means “to know”.

A name is much more than a label. In ancient times, a person’s name depicted something important about his identity. Just look at Moses’ name for example; it means “to draw out (of water), Abraham means “father of multitude”, and Hannah means “grace”. When God spoke from the burning bush, Moses asked Him to reveal His name. Moses realized that if he knew God’s name, he would know a lot more about this unfamiliar deity who was speaking to him in such a powerful and unusual way.
“God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.” Exodus 3:13
When the LORD revealed this name to Moses, he learned that God was unlike the other gods worshipped in Egypt or Cannan. The name Yahweh indicated that the LORD was different from all other gods. His name set Him totally and completely apart.
If we look throughout scripture we see that the personal name of Yahweh reveals that God is a divine being who is self-existent (John 5:26), self-sufficient (Acts 17:25), self-directed (Job 36:22-23), eternal (Rev. 4:8), and consistent (Ps. 102:26-27). 1

After hearing Randy's message this past Sunday, and reading the devotions this week, how does the fact that the LORD is “I AM” impact you? Think about that today; reflect on it as you go about your day.

I hope as you reflect on how that fact impacts you, that it will lead you to praise Him. You see, Yahweh is the most significant name of all the names we attribute to God. It is the name by which God instructed us to remember Him throughout all generations. The Jews used the abbreviated form of Yahweh in song when they sang Hallelu-jah – Praise Yah. Throughout Scripture, we are commanded to praise Him. So because He is I AM spend time praising Him today.
“Let everything that has breath praise the Lord."

1 Mary Kassian

6 comments:

susan said...

Today, I want every breath I have to praise Jesus!

Randy said...

After preaching last Sunday and reading the devotionals and comments from this week, I am aware of the fact that I could have preached a year's worth of messages on the name "YAHWEH" alone! Just another reason why the name of the series is "Indescribable." God is a GREAT BIG GOD with a Name that is MIGHTY!

Becky said...

I am head over heels for YAHWEH! HALLELUJAH!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Becky for posting these incredible thoughts on God's name. This is very encouraging and helpful for the Body at TCARS and beyond!

Des said...

wow! interesting thought on the term "hallelu-jah". gives it so much more meaning.

Becky said...

Can I just tell you all how much intentionally focusing on the word Hallelu-jah is absolutely filling my heart so full I feel like the only thing holding me together is my skin!!!!!!!!!!!! This morning during Ran's prayer, when he spoke the words Hallelu-jah I wanted to shout at the top of my lungs. He is I AM; fully actively present in my life and yours and we can praise Him! Incredible!