Friday, November 21, 2008

The Wayward Sheep

When you see the picture of the shepherd carrying his little lamb on his shoulders have you ever wondered why he is carrying it rather than walking along side it? The answer is very interesting. The sheep on the shoulders of his master is a wayward sheep. This is a sheep that not only wonders from the flock into dangerous territories; but, it wonders habitually. In Psalm 23, King David wrote about the comfort the rod and staff brought him while walking through the valley of the shadow of death. The shepherd’s staff was hooked at the end to bring wondering sheep back into the fold. The rod was used as an incentive for those wondering sheep who were a bit more given to straying. In either case, peace and comfort was brought forth through the enforcement of boundaries set by the one in authority. This resulted in a sense of security for the wandering sheep. However, there are some cases when the rod and staff are not enough incentive for a particularly strong-willed sheep--a sheep who continually chooses to leave the safety and security of the flock; and, who continually travels into areas where he can be destroyed by wolves or other ravenous beasts. It is at this time that the good shepherd realizes that he must exercise extraordinary measures to secure the safety of this one little sheep.
So, out of his deepest measure of love, and for the ultimate well being of his precious little sheep, the good shepherd breaks the sheep’s leg so that it can not wonder into those dangerous territories. This forces the sheep to abide in the vicinity of the good shepherd. He learns to hear and heed his master’s voice. He begins developing a relationship with his master--a relationship not likely developed in light of his former rebellious behaviors. He begins to obey his master, not because he fears him; but, because he has developed a loving relationship with him. He has realized, through this relationship, that when the master speaks he speaks love, wisdom, goodness, peace, safety, and security.

Tuesday evening, I had the privilege of being led in worship by Kevin Derryberry who spoke of the years he continuously rebelled against God's gentle calling him back into the "fold". It wasn't until he faced near death from alcoholism that he crawled into His Shepherd's arms for the first time since he was a young boy. He has since developed a deep love relationship with his Lord.

This action by the shepherd may seem harsh to you, but the shepherd knows the dangers that lurk around the corner. I have often seen parents "pop" the hand of their small child or place them in "time out" for actions that would result in their harm. Parents don't do this out of meanness or anger, but because they don't want their children to receive unnecessary injury. Our Great Shepherd must discipline us in order to protect us.


Maybe you are not currently on the "wrong path", but unfortunately, you have a family member or a friend who is rebelling against the Shepherds leading. Take a moment to just pray for that person right now. Ask God to gently lead them back into his arms. Thank God for what He is going to do in the life of that person.

Thank you so much for taking time each day to sit and read these devotions. We pray that God is speaking to your heart and drawing you close. We want you to know that God loves you. If you have a loved one that is currently running from the Lord and you wish for us to pray for him/her, please request prayer in the comment section below. If you are not comfortable leaving a name, God knows the situation...just request prayer. Also, should you need additional prayer or guidance please feel free to contact Pastor Randy using the church's link on this blog.

4 comments:

Russ said...

These wayward sheep remind me a whole lot of me. Sometimes the Good Shepherd has to break my legs to get me close to his heart. But, Becky is right, it is when I am close to God that I hear Him speaking His words of "love, wisdom, goodness, peace, safety, and security." God, thank You for loving even one lowly little sheep enough to take extraordinary measures to keep him close to You.

Randy said...

I have a special request for someone that I know who has wandered far away. Please pray for him. God knows His name. Thanks Becky for what I believe is the most powerful devotion that we have had yet on this blogsite. Remember, whom the Lord loves, He chastens.

Becky said...

Father God,

You are forever faithful and good. I thank you that you love your children so very much that you will go to extraordinary lengths to bring us back into your arms when we have wandered away. I pray for those who have left the safety of your fold and chosen a different path. It is in the mighty name of Jesus that we pray for their return. Lord, please use us to be your hands and feet...help us to be an encouragement to the rebellious and the lost. May The Church @ Ross Station be a beacon of hope to the lost and fallen.

Amen

Unknown said...

As I read the comments, I am brought to tears by the fact that I too can be a wayward sheep so many times. Every single day I have to get up and ask God to once again pick me up and carry through the day. I wonder, does he ever get tired of me asking him to pick me up AFTER I make a mess of things myself? I am so undeserving of what he has blessed me with. I am so thankful that he picks me up and carries me every day. Thanks Becky for faithfully typing each day.